As great as AirPods are let’s face it keeping them clean can seem daunting at times. Granted this is mainly because of the all-white design for both the AirPods and the case. Yes, daily use products should be cleaned regularly. The all-white design shows every spec of dirt and that darned pocket lint. How many people knew exactly how much lint is in their pocket until they purchased AirPods?
Keeping the microphone and speaker meshes clean is of the utmost importance because if they get clogged up with ear wax or general debris, the overall sound can be affected.
Fortunately, Apple has given us guidelines for how to keep those little white gems clean. These guidelines work for both AirPods and AirPods Pro. They are probably good guidelines for any earbuds you put in your ear canal daily.
AIRPODS / AIRPODS PRO / EARBUDS IN GENERAL
- Don’t run AirPods or AirPods Pro underwater.
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- If your AirPods or AirPods Pro are exposed to anything that might cause stains or other damage—for example, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye:
- Wipe them clean with a cloth slightly dampened with fresh water and dry with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Allow them to completely dry before placing in the charging case.
- Do not attempt to use them until they are completely dry.
- Make sure not to get any liquid in the openings.
- Clean the microphone and speaker meshes with a dry cotton swab.
- Don’t use sharp objects or abrasive materials to clean your AirPods or AirPods Pro.
AIRPODS PRO EAR TIPS
If any water has accumulated in the ear tip, tap the AirPod on a soft, dry, lint-free cloth with the ear tip opening facing downward to remove. Pull off the ear tips from each AirPod and rinse the ear tips with water. Don’t use soap or other household cleaners. Wipe the ear tips with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Make sure that the ear tips are completely dry before reattaching to each AirPod.Click the ear tips back on each AirPod. The ear tips are oval-shaped, so make sure that you align them before you click them back on.
AIRPODS & AIRPODS PRO CASE
Clean the charging case with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. If necessary, you can slightly dampen the cloth with isopropyl alcohol. Make sure not to get any liquid in the charging ports. Here are a few more guidelines:
- Remove any debris from the Lightning connector with a clean, dry, soft-bristled brush.
- Don’t use abrasive materials to clean the charging case.
- To avoid damaging the metal contacts, don’t put anything in the charging ports.
AIRPODS & AIRPODS PRO – WATER RESISTANCE?
If you have AirPods (1st and 2nd generation), your AirPods and charging case aren’t waterproof or water-resistant, so be careful not to get moisture in any openings. If your AirPods come in contact with liquid, including sweat from a workout, wipe them down with a dry microfiber cloth. To dry the case, place it upside down with the lid open.
AirPods Pro are water-resistant, but not waterproof. The Wireless Charging Case for AirPods Pro is not waterproof or water-resistant, so be careful not to get moisture in any openings. If your case comes in contact with liquid, dry it by placing it upside down with the lid open.